Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kuih Seri Muka






Kuih Seri Muka

Traditional Malay Kuih is yet another challenge to me because I seldom make them. I mostly buy them though..(because I can get variety of nice Malay kuih then..) I got this recipe from my neighbor in Puchong, kak Mah and find it very useful cause I used to make them without any proper recipe before...and in the end sometimes it turned out ok but sometimes not. And to my friend Kay, I think you should try this out for your sweet Iman..

So here it is:

Ingredient A -for the base:

500g glutinous rice (pulut) - soak with water for few hours
2 cups coconut milk
pinch of salt


For the top batter, Put all into blender:

2 cups coconut milk

1 cup flour

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup pandan extract ( 2 pieces of pandan leaf + 1/4 cup of water- blend together)

green colouring

Note:
After getting good comment from my fellow baker friend, Chef C, here is how I make the pandan extract. I use 2 pieces of pandan leaves cut into small pieces, put in the blender then add 1/4 cup of water and switch on.. Then strain them and there you'll get the green colour pandan extract cause I don't like to use the artificial flavour that you can easily get from baking store.

Method:

Mix well glutinous rice, coconut milk and salt. Steam over medium heat until cooked. Brush some oil in an 8 inches tray and pour in cooked glutinous rice. Press with a banana leaf ( I use small plastic )until very firm. Blend green layer ingredients together in a blender or food processor and strain for several times. Pour topping onto glutinous rice and steam for 20 - 25 minutes over low heat until it sets. Leave kuih to cool completely before cutting it . Serve and enjoy..

3 comments:

Chef C said...

1. how long do you soak the rice before cooking it?
2. what do you use to strain the pandan extract? a cloth to squeeze out the extract or simply using a strainer?

zaedaman said...

thanks for the comment..Sorry for the late reply..

1. About 1 hour will do..
2. I used tea strainer/filter. And for the top batter,I strain few times just to 'refine' it..

EITA said...

I have tried it once and whenever I feel to eat this 'kuih' will definately using her recipe. It's awesome, brilliant, tenderly soft and what a real deal recipe. 'Genuine'.

Thanks Zaeda for sharing the recipe here.

Eita/UK