Sunday, April 5, 2009

Garlic Bun



I've been inspired recently on baking the bread by a friend..as I love bread as well. Since I have 'master' one good bread/ bun recipe, I have been using the same recipe for other kind of bun and bread..unless if I wanted to make wholemeal bread; of course the ingredients definitely going to be different.. I use the same sweet bun recipe but this time I add variety of savoury filling and fruit like banana to give various taste that hopefully will suits everyone..I used sweet bun recipebut with slight adjustment as I got the tips from the bakery owner whom I got all my baking goods..

Garlic Bun


Ingredients:

300g bread flour
200g soft flour/ cake flour
100g caster sugar
50 g milk powder
2 egg
80g melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bread improver
1 tsp bread softener

250ml warm water }Mix together plus add a 1 tablespoon
11g yeast (or 1 packet Mauripan yeast) }of sugar.


filling:
30g butter, soften room temperature
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1 tsp parsley ( chopped)

note: OR you can skip this and get ready made garlic butter from supermarket


Method

Mix the warm water with yeast and a bit of sugar. Leave aside until form bubble..
In a mixing bowl mix together flour, sugar, milk powder, salt, bread improver and softener. Pour in melted butter and egg. With medium speed add the yeast mixture slowly until form a dough. Knead the dough for about 15 -20minutes.

Place the dough in the mixing bowl and cover with a damp towel or cling wrap to seal in the moisture. Allow the dough to ferment(or proof) until double in bulk. This will take about 45 miutes. To test whether the dough has been fully proofed, press a finger into the dough and withdraw quickly. It should leave a deep impression and spring back very slowly.

Remove dough and give a few light kneading on a lightly floured work surface. Press out the trapped air as your knead. Divide into 6 or more(depending on the size you like..I like mini..) equal portions and shape into balls. Cover with cling wrap, let the doughs rest for 15mins.

Flatten each dough into a round disc. Roll up Swiss roll style and pinch the seams in place. Roll the dough on work surface to shape it into a longish oval shape or torpedo shape.

Place doughs seams side down on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper. Loosely cover with
a damp cloth or cling wrap and let dough proof for 30mins.






Sprinkle over chopped parsley or my case I used spring onion on top

Prepare filling by mixing butter and garlic to form a smooth paste. Spread on the dough and then sprinkle over chopped spring onion or parsley on top.

Brush each dough with egg wash.

Bake at preheated oven at 180 degC for about 12-15 mins. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack. Serve it hot

No comments: