Thursday, April 9, 2009

Blueberry Swiss Roll




I have baked a lot of cakes and cookies but not even once make Swiss Roll myself. I normally buy them from supermarket or any bakery cause I like the soft and fluffy kinda cake with less sweet filling inside. I was inspired...again..when I read my fav cooking blog and wants to give it a try..She baked Strawberry Swiss Roll and I want to change it to blueberry cause I don't really like strawberry.

This recipe is my first attempt of baking swiss roll.I have discovered that the important thing in baking a good Swiss Roll is the baking time and temperature. You have to do trial n error with your oven in order to get satisfied result. As for me the best temperature is 170deg Celc for about 12 minutes. And difficult part is rolling the cake without crack them..You have to roll it extra carefull plus do it slowly and use a good greaseproof paper so that the 'skin' won't stick to it and ruin the 'look'.

Ingredients :

6 eggs gred A or B
120g castor sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tblspn ovallete
90g all purpose flour
1 tblsp milk powder
120g melted butter
a bit of chocolate emulco
whipped cream or strawberry jam

Method:

- Beat the eggs, sugar, ovallete,baking powder, vanilla essence,flour and milk powder with maximum speed until light and fluffy (5-7mins)
- Fold in melted butter and mix well.
- Take about 1 1/4 cup of the batter and mix it with chocolate emulco and put it in piping bag.
- Pour the plain batter into prepared tin and smooth it out with spatula.
- Pipe the chocolate batter on top of the plain batter.
- Use a toothpick to draw pattern.
- Bake in the oven at 170deg Celc for about 10-12 mins.
- Once the cake is cooked, transfer on greaseproof paper and slowly peel off the baking sheet off.



- Roll the cake while it's still warm together with the greaseproof paper and leave it rolled for about 5 minutes.
- Unrolled it slowly and spread the cream evenly and later the blueberry filling.Roll them again but this time without the paper.
-Wrap the cake with cling wrap tightly and chill it in the fridge overnight.





No comments: